3320 Los Coyotes Diagonal, Suite 200
Long Beach, CA 90808
Tips for Parents
- Do not encourage the use of a pacifier. If your child already uses a
pacifier begin to discourage use by 9 months of age.
- Begin to wean your infant from a bottle to a sipper cup by the age of
1. Children can successfully drink from a cup by 10 months of age.
- Clean your infant's mouth with a gauze pad or washcloth after each
feeding and most importantly before bedtime.
- Begin to use a toothbrush with a pea-sized amount of toothpaste as soon
as your infant's first tooth erupts. You do not need to use toothpaste if
your infant doesn't like it. Toothpaste is not a necessity until 24-36
months of age.
- To prevent Early Childhood Caries NEVER put your infant to bed with a
bottle of anything other than 100% water. Even at naptime.
- NEVER dip a pacifier or nipple into sugar or honey.
- If necessary, begin fluoride supplements as prescribed by your
Pediatrician or Pediatric Dentist.
- Change your child's toothbrush every 3-4 months or right after a cold
- Brush at least twice a day, once after breakfast and once right before
your child goes to bed.
- Establish a dental home for your child by their first birthday through
their first dental visit.